Ganciclovir is an anti-viral medication. It is used to treat certain eye infections caused by viruses.
• Stinging or burning sensation
• Blurred vision• Redness• Eye irritation
These symptoms are usually mild and will subside after some time. Check with your healthcare professional if these conditions are severe or do not improve.
If you experience blurred vision, do not drive or operate any machinery until your vision is clear.
The symptoms of a drug allergy include one or more of the following:
If you experience any of these symptoms, you should stop your medication and see your healthcare professional immediately.
Inform your healthcare professional if:
• You are allergic to this medication or any of the other ingredients of this medication.• You are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.• You are taking any other medications, including supplements, traditional medications and herbal remedies.
For men and women of childbearing age, birth control measures should be used. In addition, men using ganciclovir are advised to use a barrier contraceptive (e.g. condom) during treatment and for up to three months after completing treatment.
Ganciclovir eye preparations may be available in the form of eye drop or eye gel.
• Proper use of eye drop
• If you are given an eye gel, it may be applied in the same way as an eye ointment. Click on this link for a step-by-step guide on how to apply eye ointment https://www.singhealth.com.sg/patient-care/medicine/how-to-apply-eye-ointment
• DO NOT wear contact lenses during your medication treatment and until the infection has cleared.
• Do not stop using your medication without checking with your healthcare professional.
• Ganciclovir eye preparations are prescribed for your current eye condition only. Do not reuse or exceed the prescribed duration of treatment.
If you forget to use a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Then use your next dose at the usual time. Do not use two doses to make up for the missed dose.
For eye gel, store in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight.
For eye drop, store in the refrigerator between 2 -8⁰C. Do not freeze.
Record the date opened on the container. Throw it away immediately once contaminated or after reaching its in-use shelf life as recommended by the manufacturer.
Pack this medication into a black trash bag and seal it tightly before throwing into the rubbish chute or bin.
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...
5 Second Hospital Avenue, Singapore 168938 +65 6324 8802